Friday, August 27, 2010

Flaming Angels, Guitars and Indestructible Me


This piece was created months ago as part of the Georgia Theatre art quilt, and as I'd hoped for all the pieces included in the quilt, it has a story.

The Canadian loves to shoot photos of statuary.
A couple of years back, he brought me an image of an angel loosely holding a palm frond. "Look at this Jennifer! Doesn't it look like she could be holding a guitar instead??"
He was excited, and he has more faith in my Photoshop abilities than I do, but to humor him, I played around with it.

I actually liked the angel/guitar creation; I had to use her on a quilt square. I'd been asked by the newspaper to demonstrate an example of a "no-sew" technique for them to photograph. Hmmmm...perfect!

As soon as I'd posted her originally, I realized there was an up and coming band in Athens called the Burning Angels.... no connection...I'd never even heard them play, but it amused me.

I've been thinking quite a bit about this piece over the last while....not so much in comparison with the idea of the Georgia Theatre rising from the flames, but on a personal level.
How many times have I just continued, playing on, oblivious to the destruction around me?
How many times have I been burned in the flames, only to reinvent myself and come back again?

“Only to the extent that we expose ourselves to annihilation

over and over again

can that which is indestructible be found in us.”

~Pema Chodron

3 comments:

Julie Jordan Scott said...

I completely feel you in this post. Ohmigawsh, truth abounds. Love the guitar playing, in flames angel.

AMAZING!

My Flames for Writers this week...

Stephanie said...

I love the angel w/guitar! I'm a huge fan of angel statues and this one is really special. Great story behind it too!!

patty a. said...

How is the quilt for the Georgia Quilt coming along? Patty from Ohio R.E.M. blocks